The Michigan District, LCMS has released an online course entitled, “Welcoming Teachers to the Michigan District, LCMS” – an online course designed specifically for teachers entering into their first year of ministry. The courses are all taught by veteran teachers and educators, who provide valuable insights for those just starting out.
- Welcome Message from the Superintendent of Schools
- Personal Items Checklist
- Starting Mentality & Focus on Relationships
- Think Locally
- Housing Allowance
- Insurance issues
- Personal Budgeting
- Relationship Building
- Communication with Parents
- Conflict Resolution
- Professional Learning Communities and Networks
- Bruce Braun, Superintendent of Lutheran Schools – Michigan District, LCMS
- Julian Petzold, Principal – Trinity Lutheran School, Clinton Township
- Kyle Chuhran, Elementary Education Coordinator – Concordia University Ann Arbor
- Karla Hardies, First Grade Teacher – Trinity Lutheran School, Clinton Township
- Harv Schmit, Dean of the School of Education – Concordia University Ann Arbor
- Charles Winterstein, Retired Educator
- Daniel Burk, Principal – Christ the King Lutheran School, Southgate
The course was designed specifically for first-year teachers in the Michigan District, LCMS. However, the material covered in the course is applicable to every teacher seeking to sharpen skills and become a stronger educator.
The course is free to take and complete. First-year teachers are encouraged to complete the course and print out two copies of the course completion certification: one for personal portfolios and one to give to their principal.
After completing the course, please provide your honest feedback on the material covered. This will help us improve the course in the years to come.