Social Media has been filled with first-day-of-school photos lately. Colorful, bulging backpacks are photographed in the hands of our favorite students who are smiling from ear to ear, holding a sign that says “First Day of___”. Another school year will bring many firsts for the 15,000 students who attend Michigan District Lutheran Schools. Some of them are:
- Some students will, for the very first time, hear of a God who loves them so much He sent His own Son to receive their punishment;
- Some parents will, for the very first time, stop and pray before eating because their child reminds them, “Mrs. _____ said we should thank God for our food;”
- Some child will, for the very first time, be able to read God’s Word by themselves and follow along with their teacher when she reads the biblical accounts of God’s history with His people;
- Some teacher will, for the very first time, be in front of a group of students; he/she has spent four to five years preparing for this and now he/she is silently praying for wisdom and courage to model Christ to these young people for the next 180 days;
- Some principal will, for the very first time, see a child who amazingly reminds them that “No one has a better ministry than I because I get to spend my time with God’s children like you;”
- Some family will, for the very first time, experience the death of a loved one. Perhaps they will also for the first time hear a Pastor remind them of God’s unchanging Grace and love and His desire for them to spend eternity with Him;
- Some young man will, for the very first time, experience God’s healing touch through the encouragement offered by his teacher when he suffers academic discouragement;
- Some young girl will, for the very first time, experience the joy of learning about God’s creation in Science. She will be enthralled as her teacher explains how God planned for a world of order, not chaos, at creation;
- Some family will, for the very first time, experience the joy of listening to their child sing praises at school;
- Some teenager will, for the very first time, understand that God desires them to watch out for younger students. They will experience Christian Leadership from their teachers and be impacted for life by the discovery they can have an impact themselves;
- Some coach will, for the very first time, experience the joy of competition by preparing young people to compete and be not only better athletes but also better people who model Christ on and off the field.
Some Michigan District congregations and their members will, for the very first time (this school year), stop and praise God through prayers and encouragement for the 70 elementary schools, 6 high schools and over 150 Early Childhood centers which daily share Christ through Lutheran Education. Would you consider starting each day with a prayer for wisdom, courage, and joy for all those in Lutheran School Ministry and the many “firsts” they are blessed to be a part of this year?
Photo courtesy of Elisa Schulz Photography