The Reformation 500 Walk, Bike, Run Challenge is Back!
From May-September 2018, members of congregations and schools are encouraged to form teams that will work together to complete 500 miles by walking, running, and/or biking during the 5-month period. This event is an opportunity to come together to financially benefit individual congregations and schools while supporting the Michigan District’s Here We Stand campaign, as well as enjoying a summer of physical activity.
How Does it Work?
- Organize Your Team. A team may be comprised of as few, or as many, individuals as you would like. Congregations can have more than one team.
- Collect Financial Pledges. Each individual team member is encouraged to collect financial pledges. Upon completion, participants will be responsible to collect their pledges. These will then be distributed to each participant’s church or school (50%), and to the Michigan District’s Here We Stand campaign (50%).
- Complete the Mileage Goal. Each individual team member will complete any combination of miles (by running, walking, or biking) each week, and then add their total completed miles to their team’s accumulating results, which will be kept on a master log.
Visit herewestand.michigandistrict.org/thereformation500 to download your documents and get started today!
Here We Ride II
Here We Ride II is a FREE single-day bike-riding event that will be held on Saturday, August 4, 2018 at Bethany, Charlevoix.
How does it work?
- Starting and finishing at Bethany, you and your family are encouraged to ride the distance you choose: 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 miles are available (and anything in between). There will be starting times for serious cyclists and other riders. A come-and-go family picnic will be available at Bethany throughout the day for riders, their families, and the community.
- Here We Ride will take place on the Little Traverse Wheelway—a multi-use paved trail that skirts the beautiful waters of the Little Traverse Bay. There are plenty of opportunities to rest and enjoy the scenery, and happy volunteers will be stationed along the route.
- As mentioned above, Here We Ride is intended to be entirely FREE for ALL PARTICIPANTS. However, participants are encouraged to collect pledges for the miles they will ride. We ask that you give 50 percent of the money raised to your church or school for its ministry purposes, and the remaining 50 percent to the Here We Stand campaign initiatives. All participants are asked to register online. More information can be found at michigandistrict.org/hereweride.
During the summer of 2017, between the two events, teams raised $10,910.81 that went to their congregations and the Here We Stand campaign. For more information, visit the webpages or email Ray Zavada at email@example.com or Linda Ekong at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Linda at 888.225.2111 ext. 265.
Photo by Cindy Zavada/Michigan District, LCMS